TeeChart 7 Source Code Installation

TeeChart VCL for Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero RAD Studio, Delphi and C++ Builder.
matjazu

TeeChart 7 Source Code Installation

Post by matjazu » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:40 am

Hi, I would appreciate if you can clarify a few things about TeeChart installations. I'm a Teechart Pro user (including source code).
Questions:
- what is the recommended installation: install both binary package and source package ? What should be installed first? Where to install source code.
- if I recompile source code, I get duplicated BPL libraries, should precompiled be deleted
- is it enough just to install source code and recompile packages
- what happens if I have several Delphi installations on same computer (Delphi 7, Delphi 2006, Delphi 2007). Should every binary package be installed in separate folder. Is it enough to install one source package and then recompile for every Delphi version.

Thanks for help.

Narcís
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Narcís » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:48 pm

Hi matjazu,

Please find below the answers to your questions.
- what is the recommended installation: install both binary package and source package ? What should be installed first? Where to install source code.
We recommend to install both. First install the binary installer to obtain the examples and documentation included in it and then install the source code. It doesn't matter where you install the source code, this may depend on where you like 3rd party components files located. Anyway, it's also fine using default installation path.
- if I recompile source code, I get duplicated BPL libraries, should precompiled be deleted
This shouldn't be a problem provided that your Delphi points to the newly compiled files on TOP of its search path list at Project -> Options -> Directories/Conditionals.
- is it enough just to install source code and recompile packages
It is enough to be able to work with TeeChart but you won't have any example nor documentation. That's why we recommend to install both versions.
- what happens if I have several Delphi installations on same computer (Delphi 7, Delphi 2006, Delphi 2007). Should every binary package be installed in separate folder. Is it enough to install one source package and then recompile for every Delphi version.

You can install using the binary installer for each IDE or not. In your case I'd recommend you to install the binary installer for Delphi 7 for the reasons I told you before and then install TeeChart to the other IDEs using Recompile tool provided with the source code installer. In that case, Delphi 7 will be already linked to the help files. D2006 and D2007 won't because TeeChart help file system hasn't been made compatible with html help files.
Best Regards,
Narcís Calvet / Development & Support
Steema Software
Avinguda Montilivi 33, 17003 Girona, Catalonia
Tel: 34 972 218 797
http://www.steema.com
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Instructions - How to post in this forum

achristouio

Post by achristouio » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:50 pm

This shouldn't be a problem provided that your Delphi points to the newly compiled files on TOP of its search path list at Project -> Options -> Directories/Conditionals.
I would hope it could be made a ressoruce for what files is needed to be removed in the different directories when installing TeeChart on a newly installed compiler which also has with it the precompiled teechart.

I removed now the dclTee.* and tee*.*^from all directories I found them, but still installer complained about files in lib directory.
Is it the registry that sould be cleaned for any mention of files or is there some dcu-files not starting with tee*.* in the lib that should have been removed.
Difficult to know then what should be removed since I'm somewhat visually impaired due to both retinopathy and cataract :-(
Alf Christophersen
Dep. of Nutrition
Medical School
University of Oslo, Norway

Pep
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pep » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:44 am

Hi Alf,

I'm not sure which is the status of the installation at this moment, have you installed the v7.11 using the binaries installer ?
If so, are you able to create a simple project adding aTChart object and compile it ?
If so, just one more thing should be done, it's add the path where the TeeChart Pro v7.11 has been installed (the \Source path) to the "Search path", and "Debug path", to allow you to debug and update the source code if needed.